Friday, April 5, 2013

Called to Serve - Learning and Living the Gospel



What a fun activity! The girls loved it. For this "Called to Serve" activity, we had the girls pretend that they were being called on a mission. Trinity, my partner is such a genius... once again this was all her.

I think you can totally tailor this activity to what you want to do... but if you do it the same as us, you will need:

- Personalized mission calls
- Personalized name tags
- Scriptures
- Clothes - jackets and skirts for each girl
- (Returned) Sister Missionaries to speak

You can get my files for this activity HERE (mission call, name tags and language words, subway art).

At the beginning of the activity, each girl got a sealed envelope with a mission call inside. They each took turns reading their call and each girl was on the edge of their seat excited for their turn to see where they were going and what language they were going to speak. Trinity set it up so each place had two girls "called" to it... that way the two girls could be companions and do the rest of the activity together. For example, Julie and Andrea were both called to Geneva, Switzerland.



After they read their mission calls, each girl got a name tag in the language they were going to be speaking and we had them dress up in skirts and jackets (some of which were mine and were way too big... but that made it fun... we had plenty of safety pins.)

After they were all dressed and had their name tag, we had them find and label on a map where they were going.





Next we did a topical guide activity that was pretty challenging for them. Also I think any kind of scripture search or maybe even scripture mastery would have been great. Anything using the scriptures that is maybe kinda hard to teach them that scripture study isn't always easy.



 Then after our scripture activity, two return sister missionaries came to talk to the girls. They each talked about their missions a little bit and then bore their testimony. When they were done talking the time was up but the girls asked them questions for like 10 minutes! It was really sweet. Trinity knew these girls and they are fresh off their mission... but I think if you had Sister missionaries currently serving in your ward, they would love to come too.


We didn't do this, but I think another great addition would be having the girls learn a few words in the language they were "called" to speak. They would think that is pretty cool to learn some words, plus show them how challenging learning a new language can be!

Also... I just finished making this "I hope they call me on a mission" subway art. This would be a great handout :).


If you like the subway art, you can get more HERE and for the articles of faith HERE.



UPDATE! I updated these files just a bit. They are still available HERE. Now they come with mission call letters for both brothers and sisters (Primary and Youth Activity), tags in 10 different languages (brother and sister), 10 language preview cards and a map (with a key) on where those missions are located :)



29 comments:

  1. I would love any files you have on your "Called to Serve" activity. You can email it to danielnsara@msn.com. Such a great idea. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have the files as well, this is great! My email is perfectcheer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. also would love the files or additional info on this one dariceconrad@me.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also love the files. Thanks so much for having this website and such great ideas for Activity Days! This is awesome!
    justfunsize@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like an awesome acitivity! Thank You for sharing your ideas. Could you please email your ideas as well?
    Thank You!!
    Vickie
    svmoore5@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all amazing! I would love to receive the files for this activity. Would you please email them to me? You have put a lot of time and effort into all of these. Thank you so much for your hard work!
    Jodie
    wearewright03@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are still willing to give out your files for the missionary stuff I would love it. My email is Calleymckee@Gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love the missionary files if they are still available.
    My email is dianawyler@yahoo.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great idea! I would love these files if you're willing to send them to me.
    chelsirobinerickson@gmail.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great informative blog about badges.Very nice name plates freebie,school and collage students mention our name on report name plates.

    Magnetic badges & staff badges

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are still willing to give out your files for the missionary stuff I would love it. Thank you so much.

    teresita_baker@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love this!!! Wonderful idea! If you don't mind, could you send me these files, too??? amydungan1@gmail.com
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome!! Are you still sending out the files for this? Nerualp@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your idea and would like to do this with our girls. If you are still sending out the files, I would love a copy. Thanks!!!
    brendavmarsh@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love a copy of your mission call file, if you are still sending it out! Thank you so much! Thanks for all the great ideas! heathermariecall@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just got called to be Activity Days leader here in Manti and would LOVE a copy of the Mission files as well.
    megshummy@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you are still sharing can you please share with me? abbott.heather@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm new in Activity Days too. Can you also send me the files? michellerowan72@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you are still checking this site - I would love these files for my AD girls!! pjvietti@q.com Thanks in advance from New Mexico!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm going to try this with my girls. I think that they are really going to like it. Since we have a sister who just came home from her mission, I think she will like the opportunity to spend time with the girls telling them about her experiences. Could you send me the files also? sadiegirl06@comcast.net
    Thanks
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love the missionary files as well. ashleylschultz@gmail.com
    Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you are still sharing can you please share with me? ct_echegaray@hotmail.com . Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was hoping to do something similar with my girls, can you email this to ME too?
    valerieinidaho@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would love to do something similar with my girls. Can you please share with me?
    lesliefpack@gmail.com Great Idea!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love those files as well if your still sending them out. Email chelise_33@yahoo.com thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This ia such a great idea! I would love to do something similar with my girls. Can you please share with me? If so please email:mjanette25@gmail.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would love it if you could also share your files with me as well! Thank you so much! alisa.johnson82@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can you please share your files for this activity. Thanks so much!! 07florida57@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. This will be great for our next activity day! MAy I please get a copy of this sent to my email? We have so many older siblings on mission at my ward, I'm sure the girl & boy Activity days will enjoy this! white0429@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete